No one likes waking up and realizing they’ve had another breakout of acne. Acne can detract from your appearance and dampen your confidence. In some cases it can be painful, and in other cases it can cause permanent scarring. Some people are more susceptible to breakouts than others—teenagers, for example, are particularly vulnerable—but there are plenty of things you can do to prevent breakouts and treat them when they happen. Here’s what you should know.
There are many steps you can take to prevent breakouts. Use the following tips to keep your skin clear:
- Wash your face every day with a mild cleanser and a soft cloth. If you are in the middle of a breakout, use a cleanser specifically designed to treat acne.
- Wear less makeup. It is tempting to wear more makeup during a breakout, but makeup can clog your pores and make a breakout worse. You don’t have to give up makeup entirely, just keep it light and use concealer to take care of trouble areas instead of caking on the foundation.
- Always wash your makeup off completely before going to bed and sleep on a clean pillowcase. Wash your pillowcase at least once a week for best results.
- Keep your hair pulled back from your face, try not to touch your face with your hands, and sanitize your cell phone often. Anything that comes in contact with your face can spread bacteria and cause breakouts.
- Protect your skin from sun damage by wearing sunscreen.
No matter how carefully you take care of your skin, you may still suffer a breakout from time to time—especially if you are a teenager. There are many types of acne treatments available, depending on the needs of individual patients.
Mild breakouts can often be treated with topical creams that contain salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. More serious breakouts or chronic acne may necessitate prescription medications.
At Park Avenue Skin And Spa, we offer a variety of acne treatments including:
- Laser treatments
- Blackhead extraction
- Topical Medications
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Sobel to discuss treatment options and find a solution that is right for your skin.