Due to the development of various dermal fillers and neuromodulators, we have the option of how we wish to age. At Park Avenue Skin & Spa located in New York City, patients can explore numerous options for anti-aging, including Bellafill.
What is Bellafill?
Most dermal fillers on the market today are formulated with hyaluronic acid. Bellafill is different. This product is based on collagen microspheres. Specifically, these tiny particles are composed of polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA), a biocompatible compound with a 6-decade history in clinical use.
Ideal candidates for Bellafill
Any man or woman who wants long lasting results from injectable wrinkle or scar reduction could be a good candidate for Bellafill. Patients with a history of severe allergies may not be able to receive Bellafill due to the inclusion of bovine collagen and lidocaine.
Bellafill has been studied extensively, and has performed well on individuals of all skin types. It is important to discuss the tendency toward thick scar formation, if this exists. Also, patients with bleeding disorders may not be well-suited to this injectable treatment.
What Bellafill improves or corrects:
We use Bellafill to improve the appearance of smile lines, or nasolabial folds around the nose and mouth. Another application for this collagen filler is to reduce the appearance of scars.
Where can Bellafill be used on your face?
Bellafill can be used anywhere on the face or body where a scar exists. For cosmetic purposes, this filler product is used in nasolabial folds. It is not intended for lip or cheek augmentation.
How Bellafill works
The PMMA microspheres in Bellafill immediately plump the skin by giving it more structural support. Over time, the collagen gel is absorbed into the skin, while the microspheres hold their form, maintaining a smooth surface for up to 5 years. Bellafill is 80% collagen from bovine sources and 20% microspheres. A small amount of lidocaine is also contained in the solution to promote comfortable application.
Will I need a skin test prior to treatment?
Skin testing is a part of the treatment process due to the formulation being based on bovine collagen.
Preparing for your Bellafill treatment
The most important thing you can do prior to your Bellafill treatment is avoid alcohol, fish oil, aspirin, and any medication or supplements that may thin your blood, as this will promote bleeding and bruising.
What should I expect during my Bellafill treatment?
Because Bellafill does contain bovine collagen, allergy testing is necessary. The treatment process involves:
- One appointment for allergy testing, in which a minute amount of purified bovine collagen is injected beneath the skin on the forearm.
- We wait 4 weeks to observe the skin for potential allergic reaction. If none occurs, full treatment with Bellafill may be performed.
- We may schedule a follow up visit for 4 to 6 weeks after injections in order to evaluate results. If, at this time, more dramatic wrinkle or scar reduction is desired, we can perform a second set of injections.
Will I need more than one treatment?
One Bellafill treatment should achieve results that last up to 5 years. Because the microspheres are not absorbed, they remain to provide support for firm, resilient skin. Many patients note that they look and feel youthful even after the 5 year estimated time frame.
Is Bellafill safe?
Extensive clinical testing has proven the safety and efficacy of Bellafill collagen filler.
Bellafill side effects
The side effects of Bellafill treatment are similar to Botox or other injectables:
- slight redness
- discomfort at injection sites
Typically, these minor effects last only a day or two. In some cases, bruising occurs and remains somewhat noticeable for several days. During your consultation, we will discuss the full potential for side effects from Bellafill.
Are there any alternatives to Bellafill?
Patients who may have allergies to lidocaine or bovine collagen may consider hyaluronic acid or other dermal fillers as an alternative to Bellafill. Neuromodulators and innovative collagen-induction therapies may also be discussed as possible treatments to achieve your goals.
Is Bellafill permanent?
80% of the Bellafill product is collagen. This substance gets absorbed within about 3 months. However, the other 20% is non-absorbable PMMA microspheres, only about the thickness of a strand of hair. These do not get absorbed. For this reason, Bellafill is considered one of the few semi-permanent anti-aging injectables available.
How long do Bellafill results last?
Bellafill treatment immediately plumps lines and scars. Results may last approximately 12 months, for scars, and 5 years or more for nasolabial folds.
Schedule a consultation
If you know that you like what soft tissue fillers can do for your appearance, you may be an excellent candidate for the lasting results of Bellafill. Schedule a consultation in our NYC office to learn more. Call (212) 288-0060 today!