What is stress?
Stress is a natural human response that kept our ancestors from becoming a predator’s lunch. Today, we do not face nearly the same type of danger as the average caveman, or woman. However, stress is certainly a widespread problem in our modern-day society. Teens are stressing over homework and tests, parents are stressing over their teen’s academic performance. We stress about our job, our business, our relationships, our appearance . . . you get the picture.
The thing about stress is that it sets off a cascade of biological responses. Namely, stress makes the body a cortisol-making machine. This stress hormone can be beneficial in small doses, but a chronically high level of cortisol? Not so good for the skin.
What stress can cause:
- Premature aging. We’re all going to age at some point, but it would be nice to postpone the process as long as possible. We often do this with injectables, lasers, and surgery. However, managing stress is also an important step. Too much cortisol can lead to the accelerated decrease of collagen, elastin, and vital sugar compounds that keep the skin resilient and youthful.
- Acne. Once you’re past your teen years, you would think that acne would be a thing of the past. Not so, if you’re flooded with cortisol. When this stress hormone is high, the sebaceous glands in the skin increase their oil production, which leads to clogged pores. Now you know why that pimple sprouted up before your important meeting.
- Skin conditions. Conditions such as rosacea, psoriasis, and eczema are all related to stress. It’s not that stress will cause such as condition; but it will certainly instigate a flare-up.
Combating the Effects of Stress
There is clearly a need for stress management in today’s society. We all need it, but we may not all benefit from the same thing. You may hear a lot about how great yoga is, or how meditation can change your life, but if you limit yourself to these options and neither appeals to you, you may not progress in your management of stress in your daily life. Find what appeals to you, whether that’s a sweat session at the gym or a walk in the woods!
Professional dermatologic services can also help you manage the consequences of stress:
- Clear + Brilliant treatment
- Laser skin rejuvenation
- Vitamin C or Clarifying facials
- Chemical peels
Schedule a consultation
Your skin is in good hands at Park Avenue Skin & Spa. Schedule your visit with Dr. Howard Sobel today at (212)288-0060!